Trusting someone to sell your property is a big deal - financially and emotionally.
If you choose your agent with the toss of a coin, you'll end up tossing and turning all night but, with some consideration, you should find one with whom you'll achieve a good result.
Choose an agent you can trust.
Your agent will spend a lot of time in your home, and will be responsible for looking after your possessions and representing your interests in negotiations. It's important to find an agent who comes recommended – with good references and a strong track record – or one from a reputable company with strong management.
- Your agent's negotiating skills are critical so choose very carefully - ensure they understand the principles of negotiating and have enough experience to back up the theory. Then check that your agent can offer all the selling options (auction, tender & fixed price), and has practical experience in them all.
- Make sure your marketing budget is spent promoting your property, not the agent. Remember – if Open Homes are their sole marketing strategy, you might as well sell the property yourself.
- Realistically, you won't get to know your agent until the marketing programme begins – so make sure you have an agency cancellation option, just in case the relationship doesn't work out.
- If all you really want to achieve is the cheapest commission rate, all you need to do is call our competitors and tell them "Tommy's are prepared to sell our home for $X, can you match that?" - and they probably will. Our experience is that irrespective of what the goods or services are you are looking to buy, you get what you pay for. The cheaper the cost or fee, often the poorer the quality of the goods or services. Tommy's look to charge a fair fee for the job we do - we really come into our own if your home doesn't happen to sell as quickly as you hope or if there is a problem along the way. The Owners/Directors of Tommy's are always available if their expertise is required throughout the selling process.
- Your reasons for selling should be kept confidential. Buyers who know your reasons for selling get an immediate advantage, which may affect their offer – to your disadvantage.
When's the best time to sell?
Buyers for good properties can be found all year round:
- Houses often look better in the summer, although there'll be less competition during the Winter. It's really about your circumstances and when suits you not the seasons.
- Allow a fortnight to prepare your property for sale.
- A certificate of compliance should be obtained from your local council if you have undertaken any major building work
- For Sale signs really do work.
- Quality photographs attract attention.
- Advertisements that don't mention price are a waste of money.
- Don't throw away money doing up your house for sale. Inexpensive cosmetic work is fine, but leave the major renovations for the next owner.
- Price your home realistically, based on advice from a reputable and successful agent.
- Dull homes attract dull prices. Buyers don't like animal odours or hair, cigarette or strong food smells, cracked windows, doors or windows that stick, signs of damp in the walls, stained carpets, neglected gardens or clutter. A clean and tidy property (inside and out) adds value and saleability to your home.
- If the property is empty, you might consider getting some expert advice and even hiring furniture for the sale period – this can really help.
Just the key points again:
- Choose an agency that's innovative and seller focused.
- Insist on an agency with a dismissal guarantee.
- Only work with an agency you can truly trust.
- Choose an agency who you know can negotiate for you.
- Don't let commission get in the way of selecting the best salesperson/ company.
One of the major differences between Tommy’s Real Estate and our competitors is the underlying fact that Tommy’s is a brand built around my name.
It’s a brand that ensures my staff and I are kept accountable in the marketplace.
At the risk of using the famous L V Martin quote “it's the putting right that counts.”
To this end I am personally available to anyone who entrusts the sale of their home to Tommy’s Real Estate, 7 days a week - 021453549
Looking at Selling?
Request a FREE Market Appraisal!