Recent Sales Statistics for Mana - Tawa to Pukerua Bay Area
Median Sales Price
Number of Sales
Median Days to Sell
(Source: REINZ Statistics, November 2013)
Tawa was originally a small farming settlement, subdivided for housing after 1945. It’s named after the native broadleaf tree, once so dense Maori wouldn’t settle in the valley. Its most famous tree is the ‘Bucket Tree’, a group of large macrocarpa resembling an upside-down bucket.
Tawa Flat was first settled by the New Zealand Company in the mid 19th century. The Wellington-Porirua road was built in 1841, although European farmers’ attempts to clear ‘Tawa Flat’ were thwarted by disputes with local Maori. The railway was opened in 1855, but it remained a tiny farming community until shortly before WWI, when subdivisions began. The population boomed after WWII – by 1953 it was over 3,000 and had become a fiercely independent borough. In 1959 ‘Flat’ was dropped from the name, and reticulated water and sewerage was installed. By 1970s, the population was more than 12,000. It amalgamated with Wellington City in 1989.
Many of Tawa’s streets are named after Oxford colleges; the suburb is also known for its large numbers of Christian churches. Although green field residential growth has slowed, owners of some larger sections have subdivided their properties for infill housing.
It’s a tightly-knit community, ideal for families who want to become involved in the many activity groups. It has a good shopping centre (including a large complex of outlet stores), four railway stations (Linden, Tawa, Redwood and Takapu Road), and good schools (including Tawa College). Many residents commute to Wellington by train.
Tawa has a number of parks, community and sports facilities: the Mervyn Kemp Library, the Tawa Community Centre, the Tawa Pool complex and the $2.4 million Tawa Recreation Centre (a partnership between Tawa College and the Wellington City Council).
Keen to learn more?
Contact one of the Tommy's Team